Friday, August 7, 2015

Sometimes Words Echo...

Tonight I went to the G 'n' Tea at the Write on the Fringe Festival & I don't think anything else that happens this week can top it, folks. Tariq Ali might blow my mind tomorrow, Alice Pung might agree to go steady with me and John Marsden may finally give me a job but I still think that the collective catharsis that came from watching these 3 poets share their words and their passion will be a life changing memory for me forever.
In the next few days I'll write something that can hopefully sum up how enormous the experience was, but in the meantime I've been getting drunk and inspired.
Imbibing poetry, philosophy, wine and cigarettes on the back veranda of my mate Jaci's house, we've been stewing over our thoughts for hours. When Jaci went to bed I immediately grabbed a pen and paper and started to write. I hope she understands. It's nothing personal. We  both agree we prefer to write alone and it was our conversation as much as what came before that gifted me the inspiration to find something to say. I found this:

Words Echo

Sometimes Words echo.
Maybe not Forever,
but long enough...

Life is like a drug.
You might say you wanna stop,
but you're never really gonna quit
until the day you finally realise
that you've had too much.

Love is like a Song.
It's better when it Hurts
'cause it means more
when you try to sing along.

Lust is like a River.
It's full to the point
that it's bursting its banks
but it's already passed you by
before you can take what it gives you.

Sweetness is Bitter,
Peace has a Temper,
& Lies are Forever.
Duty is a mountain,
Death is a Feather.

Beauty is the Weather,
Changeable, Strange
& Always a bother.

The Desert is my Brother,
The Jungle is my Father,
My Mother is the Sun
& the Moon is my Sister.

& Sometimes Words echo.
Maybe not forever,
but long enough...

Thanks for the conversations Jaci. Love you.
Xx.

2 comments:

  1. Josh, that's beautiful. Your words will echo with me as part of the precious resonance of days spent being inspired. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete